stages, Sekkizhaar built a temple for Lord Shiva at Kunrathur which is very
similar to the Thirunaageswaram temple. He installed the deity (Shiva Lingam)
with Naagaabaranam (snake as an ornament) around the Shiva Lingam and named the
Lord as Sri Naageswarar.
is also popularly called as Vada Thirunaageswaram.
is considered the Raahu Sthalam among 9 Navagraha Temples of Chennai (or
Thondai Mandalam). The Naagar around the deity is considered the Raahu for
worship. Parihaarams (remedial worship) for Raahu are done here, especially
during Raahu Kethu Peyarchi and also during Raahu Kaalam (4.30 PM to 06.00 PM)
is very huge and wonderful. The vast praakaarams add beauty to the temple. Sri
Naageswarar is seen facing east and Goddess Sri Kamakshi is facing south. Sri
Sekkizhaar also has a separate shrine inside the temple.
magnificent Dwajasthambham is located on the eastern side of the temple,
straight to the entrance.
Nandhigeswarar is seated in a small stone mandapam and is facing east towards
Viruksham (holy tree) for this temple is Shenbaga Maram and Theertham is Surya Pushkarani. Surya Pushkarani is very large and beautiful which is seen
outside the temple on the south eastern side.
definitely showcases the dedication of Sri Sekkizhaar toward Sri Naageswarar.
located about 25 kms from Chennai city. One can reach Kunrathur by taking the
road off GST road from Pallavaram. One can also take the road from Porur
junction leading to Kunrathur.
has an ancient temple for Lord Shiva which is over 800 years old. The main
deity is Sri Naageswarar and Goddess Sri Kamakshi.
was built by the famous poet Sri Sekkizhaar who wrote the popular Periya
Puranam. Sekkizhaar was born in Kunrathur itself. Once Kulothunga Chozha II
wanted to know his intellect and tested him with his questions. Sekkizhaar
answered the king perfectly and the king was amazed.
made Sekkizhaar his minister at his capital. Sekkizhaar was an ardent devotee
of Lord Shiva and was regularly worshipping Lord Shiva at Thirunaageswaram near
for the god rahu is navy blue, grain is black grain, vehicle is sheep,
flower is mandharai, metal is blue metal, day for rahu is Sunday, Stone for
rahu is sardonyx, Benefits of rahu bhagavan is success in all matters in life.
Sri Nageswarar Temple, Kundrathur, Kundrathur, Chennai 600070.
- Do pray your Ishta Devata before pilgrimage to Temple.
- Do contact Temple Devasthanam information centre for enquiry, temple information and for Pooja details etc.
- Do reserve your travel and accommodation at Temple well in advance.
- Do bath and wear clean clothes before you enter the temple.
- Do concentrate on God and Goddess inside the temple.
- Do maintain silence and recite Om Namahsivaya or your Istamantram to yourself inside the temple.
- Do observe ancient custom and traditions while in Temple.
- Do respect religious sentiments at Temple.
- Do deposit your offerings in the hundi only.
- Do not come to Temple for any purpose other than worshipping of God and Goddess.
- Do not smoke at Temple.
- Do not consume alcoholic drinks at Temple.
- Do not eat non-vegetarian food in the Kshetram.
- Do not approach mediators for quick Darshanam. It may cause inconvenient to others.
- Do not carry any weapon inside the temple.
- Do not wear any head guards like helmets, caps, turbans and hats inside the temple premises.
- Do not perform Sastanga Pranama inside the Sanctum Sanctorum.
- Do not take much time while performing Sparsa Darshanam to God in Garbhagriha.
- Do not buy spurious prasadams from street vendors.
- Do not encourage beggars at Temple.
- Do not spit or create nuisance in the premises of the temple.