In punctuality, order and neatness, Nallur provides a model for all Saiva temples. This is one of the few temples the conduct the stipulated nithya akkini and nithya utsawam daily. Tuesdays and Fridays withness a large numbers of devotees. Each (lunar), month Tirukarttikai is of special significance. It is Lord Muruga's day.
The pageant of the vel with Valli and Theivayanai is enthralling.At Nallūr Kanta Cuvāmi Temple, Jaffna, vel alone is the mūlamūrti. According to theYālpāna Vaipava Malai, the origin is attributed to Bhuvenaka Vaku, Chief Minister to Kulangai Ariya Cakravarti, who reigned at Singai Nagar.
However, several references give the entire credit for building the city of Nallur and the Kanta Civāmi Temple to Sempaha Perumal who ruled at Nallur under the name of Bhuvenka Bahu for 17 years from 1450 AD (Mayilvagana Pulavar, 1739).
In the battle of Vannarponnai after Sangili Kumara's defeat, the former Kanda Swami temple was leveled to the ground in 1620 by Philip de Oliveira, leaving no traces of its foundation. The present temple at Nallur originated during the period of Dutch rule by the effort of Mappana Mudaliyar.
This temple may be said to be the most popular place of worship in the whole of Jaffna peninsula, with peak level of up to one million devotees at festival time.
The historic Kandaswamy Temple stands at Nallur 1 1/2km from Jaffna on the Point Pedro Road. The temple was built in the 15th century, by Sanpaha Perumal the adopted son of Bhuvanekababhu, the king of Kotte, who led an expedition to the North and brought Jaffna under the suzerainty of Kotte.
Having established himself as the ruler of the Jaffna Kingdom, Sanpaha Perumal set about the task of building the city and erecting the temple. Then he appointed Vijayabahu as the ruler and returned to Kotte. After some time, the deposed king Kanagasuriyan attacked and drove away the invader,
He and his descendants managed the Nallur Temple up to the arrival of the Portuguese. Bhuvanekabahu's name nae is still mentioned by the ssher on ceremonial occasins.The Portuguese defeated Sankili, the last king of Jaffna in 1560. The Portuguese General Philip de Olivera demolished the historic Kandaswamy Temple in 1621
The Dutch took over the Jaffna District in 1658. A church was erected in the site at Sankili Thoppu where the temple stood.It is believed that the first temple was built in 948 AD on the land called Kurukkal Valavu Due to foreign invasions the temple had to be re-constructed several times in different places.
Due to political reasons the Temple was shifted from place to place in Nallur area. It is believed that there was a shrine dedicated to an Islamic Sufi Saint located within the complex from 1734 to 1749.
Opening hours: 4am to 7pm
The temple hosts the annual festival which begins with the hoisting of the flag ? the Kodiyetram.The festival is spread over a period of twenty five days during which various Yāgams Abishekams and special poojas are conducted.
The major religious festivals people flock to witness are the Manjam, Thirukkarthikai, Kailasavahanam, Velvimanam, Thandayuthepani,Sapparam and Ther.