Iyarpagai Nayanar, one among the 63 nayanars was born and attained
salvation in this place. His wife was equally a Shiva devotee. To
prove the highest standard of his Bhakti, Lord Shiva came to his house
as a devotee and demanded his wife to be presented to him.
no hesitation and offered her instantaneously. Wife did not object.
Nayanar asked the devotee what he should do next. The guest devotee
said that Nayanar should accompany him with his wife as an escort as the
people of the place and his relatives could attack them.
agreed and escorted them with a long sword till the border of the
place. Nayanar resisted the opposition of the people and took the guest
Shiva devotee safely till the border. He was asked to return then.
All of a sudden, the devotee disappeared. Lord Shiva with Mother Uma
appeared and said that the play was staged to prove Nayanars Shiva
Bhakthi, blessed him with all longevity and promised salvation to him.
Muruga in the temple blesses devotees with a bow in hand promising them
all protection. It is said that this Muruga idol was found from the
sea. He is wearing an ankelet-Veerakandara Mani-as powerful as the Vel
gifted by Mother Parvathi. Those facing troubles from enemies worship
Muruga in this temple.
21 day Indira Vizha beginning from Chithira Poornima-full moon day in
April-May; Thanneer Pandal offering buttermilk and water to pilgrims
in the name of devotee Iyarpagai Nayanar during April-June covering
Tamil months Chithirai and Vaikasi in summer to quench their thirst;
public feeding on Aadi new moon day in July-August; Saint Kumara
Guruparar Guru Puja in May-June, 5 day Margazhi Iyarpagai Nayanar
festival in December-January with Lords darshan on the fourth day, are
the festivals celebrated in the temple.
The temple is open from 7.00 a.m. to 12.00 a.m. and from 4.00 p.m. to 7.30 p.m.
Lord Shiva in the temple is a swayambumurthy.
Chola King Kotchengannan built many Shiva temples, majority of them are
of Mada style. Mada temples are the ones in which an elephant cannot
enter. This is also a Mada temple.
The temple of Champagi Amman, guardian deity of
Poompuhar is nearby the temple. The tank
is on the south side. In the place of Kodimaram the flag post, Lord Vinayaka is
in the place.
As this is a Mada type
temple, Nandhi is on a higher level.
There are shrines of Sun, Indira, Iyarpagai Nayanar with his wife in the
outer prakara. There is also a shrine
for the three saivite saints.
devotee, while circumambulating the prakara can also have the darshan of LordsVinayaka, Muruga and Kala Bhairava on a higher level and Mother Gajalakshmi andNavagrahas. In the end, they reach bats
mandap through steps and the Palli Arai and Ambica shrine.
Tirunavukkarasar had sung the praise of Lord in his Thevaram hymns. This is the 9th Shiva temple on
the northern bank of Cauvery praised in Thevaram hymns.
- Do pray your Ishta Devata before pilgrimage to Temple.
- Do contact Temple Devasthanam information centre for enquiry, temple information and for Pooja details etc.
- Do reserve your travel and accommodation at Temple well in advance.
- Do bath and wear clean clothes before you enter the temple.
- Do concentrate on God and Goddess inside the temple.
- Do maintain silence and recite your Istamantram to yourself inside the temple.
- Do observe ancient custom and traditions while in Temple.
- Do respect religious sentiments at Temple.
- Do deposit your offerings in the hundi only.
- Do not come to Temple for any purpose other than worshipping of God and Goddess.
- Do not smoke at Temple.
- Do not consume alcoholic drinks at Temple.
- Do not eat non-vegetarian food in the Kshetram.
- Do not approach mediators for quick Darshanam. It may cause inconvenient to others.
- Do not carry any weapon inside the temple.
- Do not wear any head guards like helmets, caps, turbans and hats inside the temple premises.
- Do not perform Sastanga Pranama inside the Sanctum Sanctorum.
- Do not take much time while performing Sparsa Darshanam to God in Garbhagriha.
- Do not buy spurious prasadams from street vendors.
- Do not encourage beggars at Temple.
- Do not spit or create nuisance in the premises of the temple.