In this temple there are shrines for Selva Vinayaka, Nardana Vinayaka, Subramania, Mother Durga, Brahmma, Chandikeswara, Meda Dakshinamurthy, Nandi and Navagrahas the nine planets. There is a shrine for Sattanadha above the sanctorum Vimana of the presiding deity.
Temples of Mayuranathar,Vallalar. Tiru Indalur, Pallavaneeswarar are near this place.Unable to bear the atrocities of the demons Padmasura, Singamukha and others, the sages appealed to Mother Parvathi for protection.
Mother prayed to Lord Shiva who was in Katrajyothi (light in fire form) yoga. Interrupted by the prayer of Mother Parvathi, Katra Sundareswarar (Karthika Sundareswarar) opened his eyes from where came out six sparks. They united together and became Karthikeya. The place has the reputation of giving birth to Lord Muruga.
A golden light 'Kanchana prakasa' appeared from the Lord, thus naming the place as Kanchana Nagar. The name had many changes during the time that followed and presently it is Kanja Nagar meaning Golden town. Karthika Sundareswarar means the deity producing six sparks. Thus the shrine is attributed to Kruthika star.
The temple is open from 10.00 a.m. to 11.00 a.m. and from 4.00 p.m. to 5.00 p.m.
Lord Shiva graces as a swayambumurthy in the temple facing west considered a significant in the temple. Of the 63 Saivite Nayanmars, Manakkanjarar was born in this place.
It is also believed that Kruthika maidens taking care of Lord Muruga in His childhood were born here.It is believed that Kruthika starrers will have a problem-free life if they visit and worship in this temple on the star days and light lamps on the Pradosham day (13th day either from new moon or full moon days).
Women of this star awaiting marriage are advised to perform abishek to Mother with water fetched from holy rivers and perform Sumangali Pujas, so that the event will take place soon.
Besides those belonging to Kruthika star praying here for relief of planetary doshas, women awaiting marriage, couples seeking child boon, those facing property disputes and unity in family pray here for wishful results.
- Do pray Your Ishta Devata before Pilgrimage to temple
- Do Contact Temple Devasthanam information center for inquiry ,temple information and for pooja details etc.
- Do reserve your travel and accommodation at temple well in advance.
- Do bath and wear clean clothes before you enter the temple
- Do concentrate on God and Goddess inside the temple.
- Do maintain silence and recite your Istamantram to yourself inside the temple.
- Do observe ancient custom and traditions while in Temple.
- Do deposit your offerings in the hundi only
- Do not come to Temple for any Purpose other than worshiping of God and Goddess
- Do not smoke at Temple.
- Do not consume alcoholic drinks at Temple
- Do not Eat Non Vegetarian food in the Kshetram
- Do not approach mediators for quick Dharshanam. It may cause inconvenient to others
- Do not carry any weapon inside the temple
- Do not wear any head guards like helmets ,caps ,turbans and hats inside the temple premises