This temple lies in the Tanjore district of Tamil Nadu. It is about 25 miles from Kumbakonam, 15 miles from Thirucherai and 4 miles Northwest from Thiruvaarur Railway station. But facility and facility to stay are also available.
This place is treated in unision with Thiruninravur,
(i) Both the Moolavars are named Bhaktaraavi perumal.
(ii) Both the places were Mangalasaasanamed only by Thirumangai Alwar.
(iii) Godess Mahalakshmi performed penance and joined Mahavishnu as Abishegavalli as she did in Thiruninravur.
(iv) Both the Vimanas are Utpala Vimanam.
(v) Lord Varuna got special dharsan of god both these places.
For ages its beleived that to attain mukti or eternal salvation one need not be a schlor of all vedas instead stay at this place atleast for a single night would lead to mukthi.
The age old bee hive found in the Thayaar sannathi.
Moolavar : The Moolavar of this kshetram is Bhaktavatsala perumal. He also known as Bhaktaraavi perumal. The Moolavar is giving his seva in standing posture with his face facing the east. Prathyaksham for Lord Varuna and Romasa Munivar.
Thayaar : The Thayaar found in this sthalam is Abishegavalli.
Mangalasasanam :Thirumangai - 14 Paasurams.Total - 14 Paasurams.
Pushkarani : Darshana Pushkarani
Vimanam : Utpala Vimaanam
Thiru kannamangai Sri Bhaktavatsala Temple is located in Tanjore, TamilNadu. This temple is Dedicated to Lord Vishnu. This Holy Temple is one among 108 Divy Desam.
This place is also called as "Sapthamirtha Kshetram" for the seven thingsThe VimanaThe MandapamThe status of the forest found here.The riverThe location of the temple.The city andThe pushkarani all contain the properties of Amudham to provide eternal life beyond death.
Thirukkanna Mangai Aandan, the diciple of Nadhamunigal was born here and was performing pushpa kainkaryam (ie) the duty to render flowers for god.Lord God of the moon (ie) Chandra was once caught up by a drenchful cursing and after taking a holy bath in the dharsana pushkarani found in this place got rid out of his curse.
There's a forest named "Bhadhrivanam" and it's mostly like the one found in Naimisaranyam and Bhadhrinath. This place as considered idle for performing penance.River Cauvery splits up into two brooks and runs in the North and South side of the temple forming a Garland to the god.
Godess Mahalakshmi performed penance in the "Shree Mandapan" of this temple and after having a bath in the pushkarani she gave her hand to Bhaktavatsala perumal. Hence she is called as "Abishegavalli" and this place is also called as "Lakshmi Vanam".
There's a very old bee hive in her sannathi. It's being said that great rishi's and Yogis unable to bear to leave the god transformed themselves as bee's adn are in his company forever.
- Do pray your Ishta Devata before pilgrimage to Temple.
- Do contact Temple Devasthanam information centre for enquiry, temple information and for Pooja details etc.
- Do reserve your travel and accommodation at Temple well in advance.
- Do bath and wear clean clothes before you enter the temple.
- Do concentrate on God and Goddess inside the temple.
- Do maintain silence and recite your Istamantram to yourself inside the temple.
- Do observe ancient custom and traditions while in Temple.
- Do respect religious sentiments at Temple.
- Do deposit your offerings in the hundi only.
- Do not come to Temple for any purpose other than worshipping of God and Goddess.
- Do not smoke at Temple.Do not consume alcoholic drinks at Temple.
- Do not eat non-vegetarian food in the Kshetram.
- Do not approach mediators for quick Darshanam. It may cause inconvenient to others.
- Do not carry any weapon inside the temple.
- Do not wear any head guards like helmets, caps, turbans and hats inside the temple premises.
- Do not perform Sastanga Pranama inside the Sanctum Sanctorum.
- Do not take much time while performing Sparsa Darshanam to God in Garbhagriha.
- Do not buy spurious prasadams from street vendors.
- Do not encourage beggars at Temple.
- Do not spit or create nuisance in the premises of the temple.